Home » » Oktoberfest & Fall Recipe Roundup

Oktoberfest & Fall Recipe Roundup

I have been MIA from uploading and sharing recipes for over a week and I'm still trying to recover from working full-time, selling football tickets on Friday nights for the school district where I work.  Last weekend I attended a lovely food festival all day Saturday and Sunday and then I attended the Relish Magazine Cooking Show & Expo the following Thursday night.  Chef Jon Ashton was featured, and I had a wonderful time and am working on editing photos from that fun event.

Debby and Chef Jon Ashton.


Some food tidbits at the VIP reception at the Monterey Fairgrounds...


Last night, was another late night at the football ticket booth and I'm worn out! This is my first weekend to relax and to think about what to cook for a quiet evening at home with my wonderful husband.  I received an autographed cookbook, Seasons & Celebrations, at the VIP reception, and it's gorgeous!  I've bookmarked quite a few recipes.

Seasons & Celebrations: A Market-Fresh Cookbook for All Occasions: Recipes & Menus from Relish, America's Most Popular Food Magazine

Today, I'm taking a much needed break from editing photos and recipes to recharge my batteries and to spend time with my family.  Today I'd like to share with you my own favorite recipes from last year.  I am already planning my annual Oktoberfest with my family and close friends.  I've been seeing lots of Oktoberfest recipes in food magazines.  Sometimes I cringe, because I lived in Bavaria as a kid-- and my mother owned a German Delicatessen.  I know what's authentic, so some recipes I have seen simply aren't what you'll really find in Bavaria. I invite you to take a look at my own recipes, as taught to me by my mom when I was very young. 
 I called this Austrian Goulash, (but it's also a Bavarian Goulash) because I j don't want readers to confuse the word "goulash" as being a stew with vegetables and meat.  Austrian food is very similar to Bavarian food, because they share borders. This recipe was taught to me by my Bavarian "Mutti", who learned it from her Mutti, who learned it from... well, this tureen dish dates back to my Great-Grandmother from Bad Reichenhall, Bavaria.  It's a simple stew, made with beef, a tomato broth and has the perfect balance of hot and sweet paprika.  The only vegetable in this dish are lots of thinly sliced onion, and a small handful of caraway seeds.



My favorite way to enjoy this goulash is with Bavarian Semmelknoedel (Bread Dumplings) and I show you how to make it here.



I also make homemade Spaetzle, which is very easy to do. 

After years of trying, I finally mastered my mother's German Potato Salad.  My family devours it everytime I make it.

I love Bavarian Red Cabbage, and I have created a recipe that has the perfect balance of sweet and tart.


 Of course, I always buy quality brand Wiener Wurstl (Veal sausages), because Oktoberfest wouldn't be authentic without out it.  What about "bratwurst"?  Of course, I serve those, too! There is plenty of German beer to complete the array of my heirloom German recipes.

Dessert can only be one thing, in our family...

Can you say "Zwetschgendatschi"?  This is an authentic Bavarian Plum Cake, made with a buttery dough, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and a dollop of fresh whipped cream.  These plums are just ending their season, so I'm off to buy more for our party. This is the one recipe I haven't written down, because it's in my head and I don't measure. I'll work on that to share with you as soon as I figure out measurements.

Just click on the name of a recipe, if one grabs your attention, and you will be transported to the posting that shows you how to make these.  You'll find a printable recipe card at the bottom. I hope to find some time to catch up on visiting my food blogger peeps to see what you've been cooking and baking.  Next weekend, Craig and I are off to Palm Springs for a much needed vacation with two of my best friends.  Yes!!!!

I'm submitted these heirloom recipes to Joanne from Eats Well With Others. She's hosting a Regional Recipe Roundup and for the month of October she's featuring... well, what else? Oktoberfest!  

I'm off to shop for the party this weekend.

Happy October!
Jika Anda menyukai Artikel di blog ini, Silahkan klik disini untuk berlangganan gratis via email, dengan begitu Anda akan mendapat kiriman artikel setiap ada artikel yang terbit di Creating Website

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. Delicious Food Kitchen - All Rights Reserved
Template Modify by Creating Website
Proudly powered by Blogger