Home » , , , , » Chicken Vesuvio - a Chicago Classic

Chicken Vesuvio - a Chicago Classic

I've never been to Chicago.  Some day I will.  In the meantime, I trust Marie of "Proud Italian Cook", who lives in Chicago.  Marie shared her recipe for Chicken Vesuvio, a while ago. She says that this dish is a Chicago American-Italian traditional dish. I trust her expertise.  There's a reason why I chose "A Feast for the Eyes" as the name of my food blog.  I'm so highly visual, that if I see a delectable photo of something to eat I am completely driven for a need to make it!  I can look at photos, even if I'm not hungry, and still drool over the vision that is before me.  That's the effect I had when I saw Cathy, of Wives with Knives, photo of this dish.  It was the final push for me to jump in and make it for myself.

This dish has a lot going for it, besides tasting great.  It's easy to make. It's not too expensive, especially if you keep white wine on hand at all times (which I do). I made only a few minor changes to their versions.

First, I only used two large bone-in chicken breasts (but you can use both dark and white meat), that I seasoned with salt & pepper, dried oregano and granulated garlic. (Just be sure that the chicken has been patted dry, so that you'll get a beautiful brown sear.) The prep work isn't too time-consuming-- maybe 15 minutes cut potatoes and peel whole cloves of fresh garlic.  I used red potatoes, so I didn't have to peel the potatoes.  I think these are the perfect choice for this dish, but use whatever spuds you have on hand.

I used my large cast iron skillet and heated some olive oil and a little unsalted butter, for extra flavor.  Skin side down, on medium-high heat, sear the chicken and brown the potatoes (from 5-7 minutes).

Then, flip the chicken and potatoes to brown them on both sides. By the way, the reason I don't recommend using boneless chicken, is that the meat has a tendency to dry out.  Bone-in, pretty much guarantees moist chicken.


If you adapt this recipe, as I did, I made this a one skillet recipe. I simply removed the chicken and potatoes and set them aside on a plate. Otherwise, you'll transfer the chicken and potatoes to a roasting pan.  Next, I added the whole garlic cloves to the skillet and cooked them until golden brown (just don't burn them on a high heat).  Now, add some white wine (I use Sauvignon Blanc) to deglaze the pan, and get those lovely bits of brown flavor loosened up.  NOTE: Though I used half the amount of chicken in the recipe, I didn't decrease the sauce. Cathy said it was so good, that I wanted more for myself.

White wine and garlic makes us hungry!  Both my son and husband were sniffing the aroma, and saying that something smelled really good.  I had to break it to them, that they had about another hour to wait... add some chicken stock and then reduce the sauce on medium-high heat for about five minutes.  If you're using a separate roasting pan, you pour this sauce over the chicken.

I did the reverse, and returned the chicken and potatoes back into the skillet, then popped into a 375F oven. I guestimated about 45 minutes (165F internal temperature) for the chicken to be cooked.  In the meantime, tidied my kitchen and washed most of my utensils so that I could have less cleanup after eating dinner.

 In the last 15 minutes, I added about one cup of frozen peas.

There's a lot of sauce, since I doubled the liquid recipe.  The aroma is enough to make anyone hungry!

This is comfort food, in my book.

TASTING NOTES:  My son prefers dark meat.  He said that this was the first time he'd eaten a chicken breast that tasted really moist and flavorful.  My husband went back for thirds seconds on the potatoes.  This dish has a European flavor, with that thin pan sauce.  I would definitely make this recipe again, and I'll use a whole cut up chicken.  I wish I'd had some crusty bread to soak up the sauce, because it is really flavorful.

As always, a printable recipe card is at the bottom of this post. I'd like to thank both Marie and Cathy for inspiring me to try this Chicago dish.  It's delicious and easy!

I hope you enjoy this as much as we did,


                                  

Chicken Vesuvio

        <p>Chicken Vesuvio is a classic Chicago dish. I&#8217;ve never been to Chicago, but two of my food blog friends made and shared this recipe.  I&#8217;m always game to make a skillet dinner on a weeknight, and I adapted this recipe just slightly by using ...     

        See Chicken Vesuvio on Key Ingredient.     

    
Jika Anda menyukai Artikel di blog ini, Silahkan klik disini untuk berlangganan gratis via email, dengan begitu Anda akan mendapat kiriman artikel setiap ada artikel yang terbit di Creating Website

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. Delicious Food Kitchen - All Rights Reserved
Template Modify by Creating Website
Proudly powered by Blogger