Home » » Roasted Garlic & Onion Dip

Roasted Garlic & Onion Dip

Labor Day Weekend-- traditionally, this holiday is all about the end of summer. Grills are being fired up for the last time, in many parts of the country.  As for me, I wear white after Labor Day.  It's my Californian rebellious nature. Flip-flops are worn year-round... pretty much.  I love summer. But, this one has been a total "bust".  Pacific Grove (my forty-minute commute to work) has been foggy almost every single day-- well, there have been a few days of blue skies.  I think I can count them on one hand.  However, our home is situated in the sun belt.  On the weekends, hubs and I have enjoyed glorious 70-degree afternoons on our patio.

One sunny day, in July, I had a craving for onion dip.  I can't recall the last time I've eaten onion dip. What I do remember is that the recipe consisted of a packet of onion soup mix was stirred into sour cream.  I don't stock that product, any longer.  How hard could it be to make onion dip from scratch, I wondered?  I did a bit of research on the internet, and decided to come up with my own version.


It took a little bit of time to roast the garlic.  I cut the top off a whole head of garlic, and drizzled a bit of olive oil over it. The garlic was wrapped in foil, and baked at 350F for about 45 minutes.  I unwrapped it and set it aside to cool.  In the meantime,  I sliced an onion very thin, and caramelized it in olive oil until golden and caramelized-- about 20 minutes.

Once the roasted garlic had cooled enough, I squeezed out that glorious sweet garlic...then mashed it with a fork.  NOTE: Try adding this to mashed potatoes. Wowza!

The seasonings are simple-- garlic powder, white pepper and salt.  I took a shortcut and used 1 Tablespoon of Susie-Q's Santa Maria Seasoning.  I used 1 1/2 cups Lite Sour Cream and 3/4 cup of mayonnaise-- and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.

 I gave it a stir and tasted to see if I needed to adjust the seasonings to our liking. 

I then stirred in the mashed roasted garlic, and the caramelized onion.

Then, we dipped in.
VERDICT:  While it took a bit of  prep work, as opposed to opening a packet of onion soup mix, the results were much better.  Chips with mayo and sour cream = total guilty pleasure.  Very good!  However, there are a few notes on what I would do differently, next time.  First, the onions should be diced.  At first, it was fun to have a clump of onion with each bite. At the bottom of the bowl, there were too many onions that clumped together.  I didn't like how that looked.  Secondly,  the Susie-Q seasoning should have been reduced by about half.  I love this seasoning mix for our Santa Maria Style Tri-Tip.  I felt it was a little too salty, though my husband didn't.  I wasn't compensating for the fact that the chips are already salty, so keep that in mind while seasoning the mayonnaise and sour cream.  I think a pinch of cayenne or paprika would be a nice touch, too.

This weekend, we are grilling ribs again.  If I can find good apples, I just might bake my first fall pie of the season.  Then again, I'm just not 100% ready to let go of summer stone fruits.  My part of California has a different micro-climate.  If we're lucky, our blue skies and temps in the 70's have been known to arrive in September-October.  We shall see!



Here's the printable recipe:

                               

Roasted Garlic & Onion Dip

        <p>I was looking for a way to make my own onion dip, without using packaged onion soup mix (way too many preservatives).  After searching various recipes, I adapted them to my own liking. In the end I decided to roast garlic and caramelize onion.  There ...    

        See Roasted Garlic & Onion Dip on Key Ingredient.    

   





Jika Anda menyukai Artikel di blog ini, Silahkan klik disini untuk berlangganan gratis via email, dengan begitu Anda akan mendapat kiriman artikel setiap ada artikel yang terbit di Creating Website

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. Delicious Food Kitchen - All Rights Reserved
Template Modify by Creating Website
Proudly powered by Blogger