Home » , » Pumpkin-Cinnamon Streusel Pancakes

Pumpkin-Cinnamon Streusel Pancakes

Fall is a very strange season for those of us who live in California.  This weekend, while were away on vacation, it rained. Today, it was almost 90 degrees!  It's hard for me to accept that summer has officially ended-- especially, when I'm dressed in shorts, a tank top and flip-flops.   You see, October is that strange in-between time of seasons for most Californians. Fresh peaches and strawberries are still for sale, and I still have a few tomatoes that are clinging on for dear life-- with hues of pale orange. They're trying to turn red!  

I had plans, earlier this week, to do some bread baking and to retrieve my slow-cooker from the garage.  You see, I do enjoy rain and that is when I love to braise, and roast, and bake bread.  Instead, our Indian Summer has arrived.  So I had to change direction, and I made iced tea and decided that it was too hot for me to be in the kitchen. 

I'm not complaining, mind you!  As luck would have it, I'm on vacation for Fall Break in our school district. Craig and I just returned from a four day road trip to Wine Country (north of San Francisco in the Windsor, CA area).

This morning, I slept in, while Craig returned back to work.  I had a strong craving for pumpkin.   I had bookmarked this recipe from "Two Peas and their Pod", and even pinned it on Pinterest.  I set my timer for 15 minutes, and it took a little less than that to make the streusel and the batter.  Streusel is pretty basic to make-- flour, cinnamon and butter.  With my hands, I combined everything and then used a fork to make even "crumbs". Done.

The dry ingredients are flour (I only use unbleached), whole wheat flour, 2 Tablespoons of brown sugar, a pinch of salt and pumpkin pie spice.  Now, you can make your own spice blend, and I usually do. Somehow, while organizing my pantry, I discovered I had pumpkin pie spice. I decided to make good use of it. (Don't worry-- a printable recipe card is at the end of this post.)

For the wet ingredients, I used milk, pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling), egg, vanilla, canola oil and pure vanilla.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and whisk just until combined.

My griddle is set to medium-low, and prefer to add an even layer of vegetable oil with a paper towel. You can use non-stick spray, if you wish.  Measure about 1/3 cup of the batter and then sprinkle about 1-2 Tablespoons of the streusel, evenly.  Cook until bubbles begin to form; carefully flip over the pancake...

...then add more streusel on top.  Cook another 2-3 minutes.

These smell wonderful.  My son was very pleased that mom was making breakfast. That's a treat for him, since I normally work days and he works nights.  It's always a treat for me, to have breakfast with just the two of us.

I have, finally,  converted my husband and son to the virtues of Pure Maple Syrup.  If you are using pancake syrup, I beg you to spend a few dollars more and to try Pure Maple Syrup.  I find that I don't need to use a lot of maple syrup-- it's plenty sweet. Trust me, you will never go back!   I decided not to add more butter to the pancakes.  I figured since the streusel had plenty of butter in it, that would be enough. Let's see how these taste...

VERDICT:  The whole wheat to white flour ratio is just right.  The pancakes are surprisingly tender, while the whole wheat lends a little bit of density to the pancake.  The pumpkin-spice is perfect. Personally, I'm glad that I didn't add more butter, nor did I pour on a lot of syrup.  These pancakes are very rich and filling. I could only eat one, and it wasn't for lack of loving them.  I simply felt full, after eating one pancake. Amen.  My son could only eat two-- and he's a hearty eater.  The sweetness of the streusel was just slightly on the edge of being a little too much-- so I suggest adding the streusel only once the pancake has been cooked on one side, and flipped.  For those of you who have a strong sweet tooth, then be my guest and use the streusel on both sides.  There are a few pancakes left, and I have no problem heating them up tomorrow morning.  I'm sure they'll taste wonderful, with a cup of hot coffee.  I doubt I can ever have a pumpkin overdose!

I won't do a long post about our road trip, but... Craig and I drove to Bodega (Bay), one afternoon and I spotted this house. I quickly pulled over and grabbed my camera.  I got so excited that I found this house!

 Do any of you Alfred Hitchcock Movie Buffs recognize this house? 


It's where one of the most famous scenes from "The Birds" was filmed. This is one of my favorite classic horror films. 

...there's the church that was also in the movie.

... and one grave marker.

Our hot weather is supposed to stick around through next week.  I have to rethink my dinner plans.  Pumpkin, however, is something I enjoy year-round. I hoard pumpkin puree, by the way.  (Maybe that's why there's a supposed pumpkin shortage. Ha!) 


                               

Pumpkin Cinnamon Streusel Pancakes

        <p>This is a pumpkin lover&#8217;s perfect pancake.  The batter takes less than 5 minutes to make, and the streusel takes another 5 minutes.  While the batter is puffing into perfect pancakes, with a perfect balance of fall spices, streusel is sprinkled ...    

        See Pumpkin Cinnamon Streusel Pancakes on Key Ingredient.   

   
Jika Anda menyukai Artikel di blog ini, Silahkan klik disini untuk berlangganan gratis via email, dengan begitu Anda akan mendapat kiriman artikel setiap ada artikel yang terbit di Creating Website

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. Delicious Food Kitchen - All Rights Reserved
Template Modify by Creating Website
Proudly powered by Blogger