Home » , , , » Perfect Pumpkin Pie with a Secret Ingredient

Perfect Pumpkin Pie with a Secret Ingredient

Thanksgiving and Pumpkin Pie.  What more can I say?  These are two of my favorite things. While I love turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, and homemade cranberry sauce-- I always leave room for pumpkin pie.  I acknowledge that there are pumpkin pie haters in this world. Thank you.  That means I have more cans of pumpkin puree to hoard for the rest of the year! Yes, I have been known to make my own pumpkin puree. But, I'll be honest.  I really don't taste a dramatic difference between the Organic Trader Joe's brand of pumpkin puree vs. homemade.  I will say that it's fun to try making it for yourself, at least once. (Plus, you get the bonus of making your own roasted pumpkin seeds.)

However, I much prefer homemade pumpkin pie vs. store bought.   I can overlook if someone buys pre-made pie crusts.  I used to do that, until I realized the secrets of making pie crusts.  I cannot believe that people actually buy canned pumpkin pie filling, however!  Really?!   Pumpkin pie filling is so easy to make! For the last few decades, I've always made trust Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie Recipe.  It's fool-proof.   I rarely use Evaporated Milk, but I truly believe that this ingredient is what makes pumpkin pie creamy and delicious.  This year, I decided to try one of my most trusted sources of recipes and baking ingredients-- King Arthur Flour.  There was an ingredient that I found a bit peculiar. In fact, I debated if I wanted to risk KAF's recipe vs. Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie.   

Pumpkin Pie Filling only requires a whisk, folks!  Of course, I've been playing with my OXO Egg Beater that I won at the Foodbuzz Blogger Festival.  It's a really cool gadget, priced at under $20.00, and I'm using it a lot!  The ingredients you need are: white and brown sugar, eggs, evaporated milk, spices, a touch of flour, and pumpkin puree (a printable recipe card is at the end of this post.)

Whisk the ingredients together. There really isn't a need to use a hand or stand mixer.   Pour into a pie shell.  NOTE: I actually made the pumpkin pie filling the day before making the pie.  King Arthur Flour recommends this so that the spices can have a chance to really blend.

TIPS: Place the prepared pie plate onto a baking sheet to prevent spills. King Arthur Flour gave me a great tip: "Pumpkin pie filling is basically a custard; the eggs in the filling will continue cooking as the heat from the edge of the pie moves toward the center, which is why it's important to remove the pie from the oven before the center is completely set. Leaving it in the oven too long will cause the eggs to overcook, tightening the proteins and causing the pie to crack in the center."

I made this pie the night before Thanksgiving, so that it would be well-chilled. 


In my previous post, I showed how I made King Arthur Flour's Traditional American Pie Crust recipe. 


I was so anxious excited to taste this pie, that I sliced it on Thanksgiving morning.  I figured I wanted to photograph it before my kitchen and dining room table Thanksgiving Dinner carnage had begun. Really!

VERDICT:  Full disclosure: I'm biased. I love pumpkin pie.  Ready?  I loved this recipe. It was creamy, and I loved the spice blend ratio.  I could taste the ginger and cinnamon, but not the black pepper.  My guess is that, somehow, black pepper brings out the spice flavor to perfection.  I was so glad that I baked this pie in a 9" deep pie dish.  The rest of my family loved the pumpkin pie.  I'm glad that I made a smaller pie for the next day...

Because pumpkin pie, for breakfast, is a very nice way to start the day.  Especially, with coffee.

I'm posting a printable recipe for pie crust and the pumpkin pie below.  You can also view King Arthur Flour's video on how to make this by click here.














Jika Anda menyukai Artikel di blog ini, Silahkan klik disini untuk berlangganan gratis via email, dengan begitu Anda akan mendapat kiriman artikel setiap ada artikel yang terbit di Creating Website

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. Delicious Food Kitchen - All Rights Reserved
Template Modify by Creating Website
Proudly powered by Blogger