Home » » Glazed Flat Apple Pie

Glazed Flat Apple Pie

I can see why I became addicted to reading food blogs, about five years ago. They're so visual.  I fall into the category of folks who tastes with my eyes.  All it takes is for a mouth-watering photo to pop out of the screen, and my brain goes into crave mode.


Seriously, it's become a problem and I can't help myself.  That's exactly what happened when Cathy of "Wives With Knives" posted her recipe for Glazed Apple Pie Bars.   I could not stop thinking about that recipe!

 Braeburn, Jonagold and Granny Smith Apples

...and, I'm not even a fan of apple pie!  Blasphemy, I know. I've mentioned, numerous times, that pie crust doesn't rock my world.  But, that has changed, now that I found a pie crust recipe that I like. I'm convinced that adding egg and vinegar makes for a very tender pastry crust.  (I used my food processor to make the pie crust.) I'd have to ask Alton Brown why that is, but it works-- and you can't taste the vinegar, either.

However, I find that the dough can be a little testy to work with, because it breaks apart and requires a bit of patching.  That's why I found making a pie in a half-sheet baking pan makes the task easier to do. Thanks, Cathy, for that tip, because I have one of these pans and I use it all the time.

Plus, this Apple (and potato) Peeler makes the work of peeling, coring and slicing an breeze. 
 
There are two ingredients, that I order from King Arthur Flour (online) that I cannot be without. One of them is their Boiled Cider.

I add it to any recipe that uses apples, because it kicks up the flavor in  a very good way.  It's super concentrated, so you can even use it to make apple cider. 

The other ingredient that I love is Instant ClearJel.  I mix this to the sugar, before adding it to any fruit pie filling.  Instant ClearJel doesn't "cloud" my fillings and does a great job of preventing runny pies. Win!  For this pie filling, I used 1 cup sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice and some fresh lemon juice.

Once the apple filling was spread onto the bottom half of the pie crust, I dotted it with unsalted butter, then topped it with the second crust.  TIP:  Parchment paper makes this easier to do.  Once the crust is rolled, on top of the parchment paper, I can just flip it onto the baking sheet. Much easier!

I like to make an egg wash, to brush on top of the pie crust.  (You can also use heavy cream.)  I buy sparkling sugar -- where else-- from King Arthur Flour.  I sprinkle it on top and then set the pie on a large baking sheet (or my baking stone) at 375F for about 35-45 minutes.

I debated about adding the glaze, since there was, already,  sugar on top...but I ultimately decided to try it.

As an afterthought, I realized that caramel would be a fun twist or even maple to the glaze would be fun. This time, I stuck with powdered sugar and water.

My cooling racks fit perfectly over my kitchen sink, so that's where I do all of my "drizzling". It makes cleanup so much easier!  (You're welcome.) Cathy adds chopped walnuts, which sounds fantastic. My son doesn't like them, so I opted out.



I was losing natural light, fast, so I couldn't get really good shots of the pie-- and I was anxious to taste this pie. I sliced into it, while it as still warm. Vanilla ice cream would have been a nice touch, but I went au naturel.

TASTING NOTES:  This  crust is my new favorite (always subject to change).  It's very tender.  I loved the cinnamon in the filling, but you could certainly leave it out.  Using a blend of apples is a good way to go, because you have sweet and the Granny Smith tart, plus you have different levels of apple texture...from soft to slightly crispy.  I liked the crunchiness of the sugar and the glaze was a nice touch, as well. This pie was a hit with all of us, and a friend described this as "the best strudel he has ever eaten".  I can see why, because the pastry is so tender.

This recipe goes on the top of the pile as a "keeper recipe".  Cathy, thanks for inspiring me to make a pie in a non-traditional pan.  This would be perfect as  a potluck kind of dessert, because you can make smaller slices to go around.

As always, you will find a printable recipe card at the very end of this post. If you can't view it, click here




 
Jika Anda menyukai Artikel di blog ini, Silahkan klik disini untuk berlangganan gratis via email, dengan begitu Anda akan mendapat kiriman artikel setiap ada artikel yang terbit di Creating Website

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. Delicious Food Kitchen - All Rights Reserved
Template Modify by Creating Website
Proudly powered by Blogger