Home » , , , » Corned Beef & Cabbage with a Tangy Glaze

Corned Beef & Cabbage with a Tangy Glaze

I don't have a drop of Irish blood in me, though I've been all over Ireland and I've kissed the Blarney stone.  Maybe that's why each  March  I crave Corned Beef & Cabbage?  All I know is that this traditional American-Irish dish, in honor of St. Patrick's Day has been on my mind for over a week!

Making Corned Beef & Cabbage is a no-brainer.  Seriously, over the last 30 or so St. Patrick's Day Dinners, I've faithfully bought a package of Corned Beef.  I've simply read the directions on the package, that  includes a seasoning packet.  Per the directions, I always added potatoes, carrots and whatever vegetables sounded good. Sometimes I added beer to the water.  How easy can it be?  Then, one of my dear Food Bloggers, Cathy of "Wives With Knives" posted her mother's own recipe for Corned Beef & Cabbage.  I love Cathy's photos, because they make me want to have a taste of whatever it is she's posted.  I especially liked the way Cathy talked about how she spreads a mixture of brown sugar, Dijon, cloves and red wine vinegar on the brisket, before serving.  Now, why hadn't I ever thought of that?  Cathy uses a slow-cooker, and think that's a great idea. The problem is, when it's 1:00 in the afternoon, and I'm craving Corned Beef & Cabbage on a Sunday afternoon-- I had to improvise.

First, I rinsed and drained the brisket (this is a 3-pound flat-cut piece of brisket. After trimming off the excess fat, I simply opened the seasoning packet and set it into a Dutch Oven.  I covered the brisket with water and simmered it very slowly for about 3 hours.

I had almost completely forgotten about these Cippollini onions!  They're cute, and a bit sweeter than yellow onions.  I peeled some carrots and quartered some red potatoes, and of course I quartered a head of green cabbage.

Preheating the oven to 350F, I removed the brisket (reserving the liquid) and I improvised a glaze of my own, remembering one I use for my Glazed Meatloaf recipe. I used brown sugar, cider vinegar, Dijon mustard and ketchup.

I love the taste of this glaze! I placed the brisket into the oven, and began cooking the carrots, onion and potatoes until fork tender (about 20 minutes.)  I wanted to broil the glaze, at the very end, for a minute or two, but I had bread baking at the same time (I wish I had two ovens at times like this.)

In the last five minutes of cooking, I stacked the cabbage onto the vegetables and liquid, put a lid on it and let it steam.  


The brisket was ready to be sliced, and it looked very juicy...

I'm on a glaze kick, if you haven't noticed!

Dinner is served!

TASTING NOTES:  The glaze is a wonderful alternative to either a horseradish or mustard sauce. My boys don't like horseradish (though, I do).  I like to splash a little cider vinegar on my cabbage, and the glaze has the perfect balance of sweet, tangy and a slight tomato flavor.  In retrospect, I wish I had added tossed the potatoes and carrots with butter- but, I'm trying to cut some calories wherever I can.  Then again, there's always room for a glass of cold Harp Beer to wash this down. 

Cathy, thanks for inspiring me to add a little more pizazz to corned beef, with a glaze by posting your lovely recipe idea.  A printable version of how I made this is at the bottom of this post. 

Irish Soda bread goes nicely with this dinner, too.
If you don't care for Corned Beef & Cabbage, then this Easy Shepherd's Pie might just do the trick!


Happy St. Patrick's Day!




Jika Anda menyukai Artikel di blog ini, Silahkan klik disini untuk berlangganan gratis via email, dengan begitu Anda akan mendapat kiriman artikel setiap ada artikel yang terbit di Creating Website

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. Delicious Food Kitchen - All Rights Reserved
Template Modify by Creating Website
Proudly powered by Blogger