Home » , » Glazed Doughnuts - One more "to learn" off my recipe bucket list!

Glazed Doughnuts - One more "to learn" off my recipe bucket list!

What recipes are on your list of "must try" list?  I have a long list of recipes that  I have always wanted to learn how to make.  I've scratched off  a few-- like "canning my first homemade jam", "souffle", "Cheese Blintzes", "Semolina Gnocchi".  I made  my first batch of Bread & Butter pickles, and finally learned how to make my own Soft Pretzels.  The feeling is one of accomplishment, and I particularly enjoy photographing the process and sharing it for all the Blogger World to see.

A few months ago, I posted a recipe for Baked Doughnuts.  I was proud of myself for trying a doughnut recipe that didn't involve deep-frying. (Did you know that if you deep-fry food at the correct temperature, that the food will absorb less oil? Yes, it's true!)  Honestly, baked doughnuts are simply muffins that are baked with a hole. They were "okay", but they didn't fool my husband nor my grown son-- who are
bona fidedoughnut aficionados.

I give credit to "Colleen's Recipes" for inspiring me to make Raised Doughnuts for my boys.  You need warm milk, not hot-- otherwise it will kill your yeast.  Colleen used butter flavored Crisco, which I simply don't keep in my pantry.  I improvised and used some organic vegetable shortening (Whole Foods) and 2 teaspoons of my beloved Buttery Sweet Dough Bakery Emulsion.

You will need: All-Purpose Flour (I only used unbleached), sugar, salt, shortening and vanilla & almond extract (for the glaze). You also need two eggs, at room temperature.  I use SAF Instant Yeast, so I don't need to proof the yeast in warm water. If you use Rapid-Rise Yeast, then sprinkle the yeast over the warm water and let it stand for 5 minutes or until foamy...

 Using my stand-mixer, I add (to the dry ingredients) the water, milk and yeast...

Add the salt, eggs, shortening (and the Bakery Emulsion, if using)...

Using my beater blade, I mix all the ingredients, and then switch over to the dough hook. The dough is kneaded for about five minutes. Perfect!

I placed the dough into my smaller 2-Qt.  "dough bucket" (my 6-quarts were being used for other projects). I make sure to oil the bowl/bucket and place it into my oven, that I have preheated on WARM for a few minutes, and then turned off. Whoa!  That's a lot of dough!

On a floured surface, I gently rolled the dough to about a 1/2" surface.  I actually had a doughnut cutter , but Colleen uses a pineapple can that she's cut out the top and bottom. She then uses a small circle cookie cutter. Clever, huh?  Just be sure to dip the cutter into flour.  Set cut out donuts on a square of parchment paper that you lightly sprayed with cooking spray. This will help you tremendously when it comes time to lift the donuts into the cooking oil. Spray the tops of the donuts with a little cooking spray and cover loosely with plastic wrap for a second rising (takes about 45 minutes to an hour).

 I will say that the doughnuts are a bit fragile to drop into the oil.  I was thrilled to watch these turn brown so quickly!

Heat vegetable oil in a deep fryer  to 350  and gently lower donuts into oil. Fry until they turn nice and golden then flip them.  I was very careful in removing the doughnuts, and not touching them, as they are HOT. Colleen uses a an electric frying pan (which I don't have), and I think that's a great idea, since you can regulate the oil more easily.
NOTE: Monitoring the heat of the oil is essential. My first doughnut cooked very fast, and dark because the oil was pretty hot!

 I couldn't wait a moment longer, and I dipped the first doughnut into cinnamon-sugar. Wow!  The doughnut wasn't greasy, it was light and airy.  I gave my husband the rest of the doughnut (see, practicing my moderation) and he liked it.  But what about the glaze, since that's his favorite doughnut.

Colleen's recipe uses melted butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, a little almond extract, and hot tap water.  NOTE: I found that my glaze had small clumps of powdered sugar, so I strained it. Problem solved.

 
Let's give this glazed doughnut a taste:

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, eat your heart out! Colleen hit this recipe right out of the ballpark. Very good!

This recipe made a lot of doughnuts.  They tasted best eaten fresh.  I asked my husband to remove the rest of the doughnuts and to not disclose their location. I didn't want to eat more than my one allotted portion.

Thank you, Colleen, for inspiring me to make my first batch of doughnuts. Would I make them again? Well, they are easier to make than I thought.  The answer is yes, but not for a long while.  I would make this recipe again, but I'd cut the ingredients in half.  I'd also make sure I have a lot of company, so there won't be any left.

A printable recipe is below, if you want to try these for yourself. Or, give them to someone and they'll love you for it. Or not.




Jika Anda menyukai Artikel di blog ini, Silahkan klik disini untuk berlangganan gratis via email, dengan begitu Anda akan mendapat kiriman artikel setiap ada artikel yang terbit di Creating Website

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. Delicious Food Kitchen - All Rights Reserved
Template Modify by Creating Website
Proudly powered by Blogger